Active duty or civilian (Administratively Determined or GS employee) healthcare professionals who work at a Military or Federal Treatment Facility are eligible to apply for an HPE certificate or degree. CHPE also admits learners through established Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with various institutions. For example, CHPE currently has an MOU with Veterans Affairs (VA) that allows national faculty to be admitted into the certificate program on a space-available basis.
First-time applicants to an HPE graduate program should follow the application instructions below. Current HPE learners or HPE learners who graduated within the last three years should email CHPE@usuhs.edu to inquire about modified instructions.
ONLINE APPLICATION windows
*Please note that Nov. 1 is the main deadline for all applicants to the program although the online Empower platform is open at various times throughout the year. The only exception for applicants to be considered before Nov. 1 is only for those who are specifically directed by USU, or their chain of command, to apply by a pre-determined deadline into a special HPE program. The Nov. 1, 2023, deadline is for the next cohort that will start in May 2024.
- Certificate Program (I-FHPE & FHPE) Application Windows:
July 3 - Aug. 1, 2023; Sept. 1 to Nov. 1, 2023; Jan. 1 to Feb. 1, 2024; March 1 to April 1, 2024.
- Degree Program (MHPE, MEd-HPE, & PhD in HPE) Application Window:
Sept. 1 to Nov. 1, 2023
While you may apply online for a degree program during any of the application windows, all applications will be considered after the Nov. 1 deadline for those wishing to enroll for the upcoming academic year. The CHPE deadline of Nov. 1 allows sufficient time to review packets and schedule applicant interviews in December as part of the admissions process.
Questions? Email CHPE@usuhs.edu.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEW CHPE APPLICANTS
Starting Your Online Application
You will need to upload a personal statement and a CV, as well as enter the name and email addresses of your direct supervisor, and names and email addresses for two additional recommendation letters.
Please only list institutions where you received a degree, and omit institutions where you may have only taken a few courses. Note that once an institution is listed, you must provide a transcript for it. This includes complete college transcripts and transcripts of all previous graduate studies (if applicable).
- Contact each institution and request that transcripts be sent to USUtranscript@usuhs.edu (preferred), or mailed to:
Office of the University Registrar-Building 79
Uniformed Services University
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
- USU graduates will still need to request that transcript by contacting email@example.com and requesting the USU transcript be added to the application.
- Applicants who have a doctorate-level degree and currently hold a faculty appointment at USU, can provide their USU Faculty Appointment letter and a photo of their Doctorate diploma, in place of transcripts. These materials should be emailed to USUTranscript@usuhs.edu.
Enter three names and email addresses into the “Recommendation Letters” section.” Important: Please enter your direct supervisor's name and email as the first recommender. This letter will count as both your supervisor letter and as one of the three letters of recommendation. Your supervisor letter should explicitly state that: 1) they are your supervisor, and that 2) they approve your participation in the program for which you are applying.
Your letter writers should receive an automated email request; however, we recommend you contact them to confirm that they received the request. Letters may also be emailed to USUTranscript@usuhs.edu.
Submit the following, required documents into the Empower application electronically, as instructed (preferred), or send to USUTranscript@usuhs.edu:
1. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
2. Personal Statement: *You are welcome to apply for more than one degree. Please indicate your first and second choice options in your personal statement.
3. Research Statement: To be completed by degree-seeking applicants only.
4. OPTIONAL but encouraged: CHPE Proposal Form or the desired program: